Monday, September 10, 2012

Reading list 1- 3rd August'12

Reading list_1

Reading is one thing I treasure. And thankfully I have managed to pick on some good reads. Some are part of the syllabus while others I borrowed from various sources.

To begin with, I am reading this book called the pattern on the stone-the simple ideas that make computers work by Daniel Hillis (published by Perseus Books Group, published on 1998, sourced from Srishti library). I am still on the first chapter, but I have got excited enough to read it through. The book takes one through how a computer works and tries to explain its workings in a very lucid manner. Personally I find this book as a beginning to not just how a computer works, but also understand its very concept, the reason behind why we use computers and its basic working philosophy.

The next is a book called Against Space Place Movement Knowledge by Tim Ingold (Pdf forwarded by Prayas Abhinav). A beautiful text on the idea of space. It is something that one will want to go back to again and again. The text is rich with the concept of travelling and movement and what it means and the various viewpoints.

The third one is a book I am yet to read fully. It is called the Poetics of Space by Gaston Bachelard (Published by Beacon Press, Boston on 1994 and referred by Rakhi Peswani). As of now I have read the introduction and a chapter titled Shells. The book looks at the various ways dealing with the idea of space, from physics to metaphysics. 

The first thing that I picked up as a kid to ‘read’ was the newspaper. I am one of those persons who still carries a dictionary. That said, I was not really getting much time to indulge in this passion. But Srishti helped me reinforce this habit and I am glad that it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment