Thursday, October 4, 2012

Artistic practice: Experiments with clay

In my first experiment, I tried making a pot, approx. 5in. But the walls collapsed. Partly the reason was that the clay was wet and walls were not thick enough.


 



 In the second experiment, I tried to work on a smaller version. Though the cracks appeared later, I actually found it interesting. I then incised the walls with small holes. So if we try to see through it, we will find small rays of light peeping through.
Pottery has always fascinated me. I liked the way a simple sphere is built with clay, its smoothness a and structure always use to attract me. So, as we were working with clay, I devoted the first two explorations to pottery. It was only towards the later stage that we visited the potter. And I got a first hand exposure of the tools and techniques employed in this practice.

As I took it furthur, I used clay to make fingers. I liked the way a clay is moulded. And I wanted to keep that in my work. So instead of making something which looks very geometrical, I made fingers. The idea was to express the various processes that we involve our hands in, from rituals to manual labour. The first two are  just the prototype before I started to make the third one. The last one is the impression of a thumb. It is approx. 1ft in height. 


As I keep working, I think that there is a lot more that I would like to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment