Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The process: reflecting the journey_Mine the city 2

I had multiple questions when I started this assignment- from the metaphorical meaning of a journey to what I 'see' to more mundane questions like how to represent these, the kind of forms that might best reflect the experience etc.

I have gone through multiple stages to reflect on the journey. Herein I will give an account of the process, the pitfalls and the learning.
FYI: The process is far from over though, so this is just the first phase. I am currently in the second phase. Will expand on that in a later post. Enjoy!

The day I took the journey, it was an overwhelming experience. There was so much that I saw and felt that it was important to filter it before it could be given a permanent structure. 

So the first thing I did was to write. I feel that writing helps me filter the process. Note: Please read the previous two blogs to learn about the journey.

Then a step-by-step story board for the same was drawn.




It was part of the documentation.The process seemed extremely mechanical initially. But on reflection I think it helped me realize what to filter out, secondly helped me notice certain patterns which were my perceptions. I kept emphasizing time as an element. I think it was not time per se but its relation with the space. The use of space is what I will be taking forward from this step.

I made a mind-chart next. The idea was to plot the corresponding spaces and emotions with the images and time. Herein I divided the entire journey into few parts. This helped me concentrate on the parts I needed to work on and what I need not.

I then decided to give shape to the form. I made a small book of illustrations. What I had in mind were the illustrations which I saw once in a library. It had simple black and white illustration of an office scene. I like the handling of the forms, they were confident and narrated a story. It used minimal text and were based on the minute expressions of the characters.

What I did didn't work though. It was not me. It took me time to do this, yet the illustrations looked like a sketchy version of the original  I now realize that I was thinking too hard on what to do than how to do. I ignored the process and directly jumped to the conclusion. What finally emerged was a poor fake of the original image I had in mind. Also these images were not too different from the documentation. As a reader I could not feel the journey the way I wanted to portray.

So I sat with a fresh mind and thought about the 'experiences' and tried to stick to what I felt. And voila it worked!

Though this is the first draft, I feel better with the particular output. My next task is to experiment more in terms of mediums, texture and finally the form.

This entire exercise highlighted few important points. First being my dependency on certain mediums.  Secondly, I find any kind illustration extremely hard. I feel I lack patience to work on a long narration.

I used the recent studio crit to discuss all these. And I must say, it was extremely beneficial. I will share a separate post on the crit though.

Don't forget to drop in your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment