Sunday, October 14, 2012

Reflecting on the journey_Mine the City


As I approach the end to my second immersion as part of Mine of the City project, I thought it would be a good time to retrospect my activity. The project started as a consequence to the first immersion, which dealt with exploring a specific area through text. 

As a rule we were barred to use all the conventional mediums that we had used in the previous assignment like photography and videography. The idea was to challenge our engagement. It was a struggle to think how to approach the assignment without the conventional forms and made me realize how restricted I had become.

This assignment is called Commute in the city.

My initial destination was from Yelahanka to Benarghatta National Park. So I made the first journey after doing research on what to expect, which bus to take and when would be a better time to visit. I had very specific outlines of what output I wanted even before the trip started. But it did not work out. Lesson learnt. I told myself never do any work with pre-conceived ideas especially when the subject/project I am not attuned to. With the hope of looking for things that I had in mind, I missed out on seeing things that were already present.

This led me to take another trip. And this time the journey was quite adventurous, in the literal sense. I will put the highlights briefly. The journey started at 11 a.m. and ended at 10:30 p.m. The mode of transportation was BMTC. Also I had a daily pass, so that saved me spending extra bucks when I diverted from my route. The first trip between Yelahanka to Majestic was long. The only incident that stuck out was this ‘weird’ (I don’t know what else to term him as) guy who tried touching me. From Majestic, a bus called 365 goes to Benarghatta National Park directly. The frequency is moderate. But I stood at the bus-stand for more than hour and finally gave up. I decided to look for other routes. I took a bus till Mekhri Circle. On asking for directions, due to language issue, I took the bus from the wrong-side. Instead of reaching M.G. Road as planned I was on my way to Yeshwantpur. (Please read the previous post to learn about the journey details.)

I take my concept from this point of the journey as where and how space changes and the experiences associated with it.

It was a struggle to begin with. I never realized that documenting a personal experience could be such a mammoth task. (Read the next post to see the process.)

The final output is in the form illustrations. The process is still on to find a relevant form that will reflect on the content.

How I came to final content will be elaborated in the upcoming posts. What I can say is that at times the easiest could be the most deceiving. Illustrating, as I later find out has not been a cup of tea. I have struggled at every level of this assignment. But I also learnt a lot.

Anyways this apart, I am on my way to work on another project. It would involve extending the research done in the first assignment and creating a new project. Things are still at an early stage. Lot of homework has to done before anything could start. Today in fact I had my first discussion with my project tutor. Few essentials need to be worked out like writing the scope of the project, synopsis, timeline and finding another mentor possibly from my department. This though is just the beginning is also teaching me the importance of planning and approaching a large-scale project. I am sure there will be more to this, so keep checking as I post the experiences from my time at Srishti.

No comments:

Post a Comment