Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Artistic research: field visits


 

This was taken during the visit to a local potter, Rajashekhar. We learnt the basics of pottery, how centering is done and drying and firing. I got a hands-on experience on how pottery is done. I realized that intuition, practice and patience are few of the essential aspects that helps in making pottery. The time I tried my hands on, I ended up shifting the centre. Infact I found it hard to do the centering afterwards.

The other trip which we had was to the handloom near Yelahanka Old Town. Seeing 3-4 sarees being weaved simultaneously in a small room with little light flowing in, came as a shock to me. Te weavers supposedly work from 6 in the morning to 8 at night. Looking at the amount of layering and details that goes into each silk saree, I was amazed at how atuned they were. The workplace may not be anything similar to what I call a studio but to the weavers it was their studio/home. Everything was customized, from the sitting area(it was at a depth) to the position of the sarees. Two sarees were being weaved at opposite direction in the room. Even the materials used in the loom used many local materials. It was huge contrast to the loud, machine run, monotonous style in a powerloom. Following are few of the images I took that day.




No comments:

Post a Comment